Don graduated with a degree in Commerce from the University of British Columbia in 1962. Don gained a degree in law in 1963 also from the University of British Columbia and was called to the Bar in 1964. Don founded Patten Thornton in 1964 and remained a partner with the firm until 2015, when he became associate counsel. Don has practiced in many areas of the law over the years including criminal prosecutions and defense, matrimonial law, personal injury law, and civil litigation. He also acted as counsel for the Ministry of Children and Family Development for 25 years. Don has appeared in all levels of court in the Province.
Don retired from the practice of law in March, 2018.
- Law Society of British Columbia, member, 1964-2018
- Chilliwack and District Bar Association, past President
- Upper Fraser Valley Legal Aid, past Area Director
- Rotary Club of Chilliwack, member and past President
- Chilliwack Chamber of Commerce, member and past Director
- Chilliwack Foundation, past Chair
- Chilliwack Downtown Business Improvement Association, past Director
- Chilliwack Family YMCA, past Director
- Chilliwack Restorative Justice Society, past Director
- Board of School Trustees for School District #33 (Chilliwack), past Chair
- Chilliwack Community Services, past Director
- Chilliwack Kinsmen Club, past member